LAST TIME OUT: Wigan v Castleford

Ahead of tomorrow’s game, we re-live the last time Wigan played Castleford at the DW Stadium



Official Wigan Warriors match report from

Wigan Warriors bounced back in style as they beat Castleford Tigers 26-12 at the DW Stadium.

Castleford half-back Luke Gale controlled the game in the opening stages, and assisted winger Denny Solomona for their first try. The Warriors quickly replied with a touch down of their own, through a superb individual effort from Lewis Tierney. Matty Smith converted and added a penalty late on in the first-half to give his side an 8-6 lead when going into the interval. 

The Tigers got the upper hand again in the second-half and scored early on through Grant Millington which put them ahead. Wigan showed great character though as they took the lead through a superb solo effort from John Bateman. Nick Gregson’s first try for the Club gave the Warriors an eight point cushion before John Bateman’s second on the hooter sealed the two points. 

Wigan welcomed John Bateman back into the side while Dom Crosby returned from injury to make his first appearance of the season. Academy product Joe Bretherton started on the bench after making his debut last weekend.

Ryan Hampshire started at full-back for Castleford against his parent club while Super League’s oldest player Andy Lynch also featured for Daryl Powell’s side. 

The game was feisty from minute one with Willie Isa and Mike McMeeken putting in some big hits. Castleford opened the scoring from a free play. In-form winger Denny Solomona latched onto a neat Luke Gale grubber to go over before Gale converted to put his side 6-0 up after ten minutes. 

Shaun Wane’s side were quick to react when prop Lee Mossop threw flung a last ditch pass out wide to Lewis Tierney, with the winger showing great initiative to race onto his own kick to dive under the posts. Half-back Matty Smith levelled the score at 6-6. 

Gale was sin-binned just seconds after the try was scored for dissent. 

Dom Crosby came on for Ryan Sutton midway through the first-half to make his first appearance for the Cherry and Whites in 2016 after recovering from hip surgery and looked to give the Warriors a lift.

The Tigers started to play expansive rugby in the latter stages on the half and had consecutive sets on the Warriors line but solid defence kept them out with the likes of Tony Clubb, Greg Burke and Dan Sarginson all getting through some good defensive work.

Castleford gifted Wigan a penalty with seven seconds to go until the break for an offside infringement and England international Smith put his side 8-6 in front from the penalty. 

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 8–6 Castleford Tigers

The visitors had the brighter start once again and scored six minutes after the restart. Prop forward Grant Millington received a scrambling offload from back-rower Mike McMeeken to go over from close range. Gale’s boot took the score to 12-8 in Cas’ favour.

Wigan then took the lead once more on the hour-mark. John Bateman scored a try on his return from injury as he went on a mazy solo run. The England man, selected at centre, stepped one and shrugged off another as he darted over. The conversion was good, Wigan 14-12 in front. 

The Cherry and Whites extended their lead through Nick Gregson. The Academy graduate caught several Cas players off guard with an outstanding dummy to go over for his first Wigan try. Smith added the extras, Wigan 20-12 to the good after 70 minutes. 

John Bateman crowned a fine performance by grabbing his second of the night right on full-time when he pounced onto a grubber to barge over the line. Smith kicked the conversion to finish the night with a 100% record as Wigan ran out 26-12 winners and moved level with Warrington and Catalans at the top of Super League


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: